Sunday, November 08, 2009

Current Projects

Although I have not been posting to my blog lately, I have been busy.

I finished a fall table topper for my mom. We purchased these fabrics at an Oregon Wal-Mart this summer. I have enough fabric to make myself one of these toppers as well. I have only finished one so far and that one is currently on the table in my mother's kitchen. Maybe I will have mine done for next year. I have been busy quilting customer quilts and it seems that I don't get an opportunity to work on quilting my own tops much. This fall, I have started inserting my own projects between customer quilts so that I can move my own projects forward. This plan seems to be working so far. This picture was taken Friday night and it is a top made from strings foundation pieced onto dryer sheets that I finished piecing August 1st.
I am also working on the binding on my Daffodil BQ2 quilt. I only have one corner of the quilt's binding hand sewn to the back of the quilt so far. If I am looking for a handwork project this is the one I can pick up.


These are the fabrics that I recently purchased to start a new project. I fell in love with the floral fabric and coordinating stripe. The light green fabric in the middle will be used as background--a departure from the usual white or off white background that I usually gravitate to in a project.

These fabrics will be used to make a Terry Atkinson pattern, "Got Stripes?" from Terry's new book, "Time Out Quilts".
I work on the reward system to stay motivated as I work through some of my UFO's. The reward for working on a UFO or other challenging project is to work on something new. Working on Got Stripes will be the reward for the next while.
Having several projects at various stages of the process also helps to keep things moving forward. If I feel like piecing or quilting, or doing handwork, I have something ready to go.

8 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

An excellent plan~you will be able to sew at a moment's notice! Lucky Mom and the table topper...perfect for fall! :)

Linda C said...

I am loving those fabrics you will use in the "Got Stripes" from one of our favorite designers!

I am also loving our plans to keep us motivated next year--reward system and keeping thing cycling thru so we can stay on top of them. 10 in 2010 if we can stay on track.

julieQ said...

Love your string quilt on the long arm! and your table topper is so pretty. I am glad you are inserting your own projects in among the customer work, so you won't burn out...enjoy!

QuiltNut Creations said...

loving the string quilt; can't wait to see it finished!

and i really like that Got Stripes pattern. great fabric choices

Barbara C said...

Thanks for letting me know about your dryer sheet string quilt. I love the colors you used, and the sashing really makes for a cheery quilt.

Anonymous said...

THE TOPPER AND FLOWERS...WHAT A LOVELY COMBO.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

These are great projects. The table topper looks great - I need to make some for holiday gifts. The string quilt is gorgeous.

Mary Johnson said...

Love the string quilt! I reward myself for working on things I need to get done too -- those used to be my UFO's but now they tend to HeartStrings tops....HeartStrings is having a Block Party this month so I'm having fun playing in my strings.